Planning a date but don’t have the budget? No worries! You can always stay indoors and watch 50 First Dates (or some other movie you both like) with your date instead. You can spend each of your Php100 on some popcorn and drinks or on other snacks of your choice. One of you got cable? Then, like they say, just Netflix and chill.
￼But a “cheap date” doesn’t have to be a boring or even a negative experience. Try out these not-so-original date ideas that just might put a positive spin on the concept of “cheap dates”.
If you want a date where both of you can get to do fun things aside from just sitting opposite each other (also called the dinner date) or just sitting beside each other (the inevitable movie date after the dinner), then its time to try something new.
Date at the Park
Exploring places near your area is a good way to spend a date without spending too much. Your local park is a good place to start and there are many things you can do on a date at the park.
- Feed the ducks, the swans, or the fish (whichever animal they have)
- Take pictures of things you like and/or of each other
- Get a good place to sit and try to sketch each other
- Play a board game at any of the available tables and benches
- Rent a bike and ride together or learn from each other
- Make yourself a couple of sandwiches, bring some drinks and have a picnic
- Bring your favorite instruments and practice together or serenade each other
- Watch a game (e.g., basketball, etc.) or tournament (e.g., chess, etc.) for free
- People-watch and make stories of the interactions these persons may have
- Watch a concert at the park (usually for free)
Spend Time with Nature
Being surrounded by nature is always a good way to loosen up and get more bonding moments together. Here are some things you can do to get closer to nature and to each other.
- Do some gardening together
- Go hiking or trekking at a nature trail near you
- Go biking thru a trail or a nearby location
- Watch the sunset together at the beach or on top of a hill
- Visit a public garden and take pictures
- Join a free Tai Chi class (usually held in open, public spaces)
- Do a photography walk of a local nature trail
- Get out a mat and attempt some yoga moves together
- Walk your dogs together
Be Sporty Together
Are you both sporty or just want to flex your muscles? Then get sporty together indoors or check out your local listings for some free classes or fund-raising events where participants can join for free. You can also check out your neighborhood for convenient locations where you can indulge in sports activities and learn more about each other.
- Workout at home together
- Do your yoga (indoors or outside)
- Go walking, hiking, biking or running
- Go roller skating or skateboarding
- Play badminton or tennis
- Learn the hula hoop
- Join a zumba class (usually for free, in the park and in some malls)
- Make your own kite and learn how to fly one (may not be an actual sport but offers a great workout)
- Join a free Tai Chi class (outdoors)
- Cheer for your local team during their practice or an actual game
Go on A Cheap Adventure
People watching is the cheapest adventure of all. All you need is someone to talk to as you watch people and the world go by. But if you’ve tried that and want to do something new, then try out these cheap thrills.
- Volunteer for a cause (bonding moments + giving back = winner!)
- Indulge in some art at the local museum (entrance fees are cheap and sometimes free)
- Go window shopping for the things you both like
- Go to an antique store and browse around and maybe learn some history in the process
- Go on a road trip with your local bus or jeepney (be sure to pay the full round trip fare)
- Go to the next town and pretend to be tourists
- Watch a free movie or concert outdoors (check out your local listings)
- Watch a free theater play at your local community
- Go to a food market and enjoy some of the free taste offers
- Make a small fire outside and admire the constellations
Date at Home
Sometimes the weather doesn’t permit going out on a date so spending time at home with your date is the only option. Well, you can still have some fun indoors. Aside from movie marathons, you can try out these activities when your home-bound.
- Cook together (with whatever ingredients you have on hand)
- Have a laugh night with YouTube videos
- Draw or sketch each other
- Get some crayons and/or water colors and learn how to paint
- Play a video game (be sure to maintain the sportsman’s spirit)
- Play a game of darts, pool, cards, etc.
- Learn or practice your favorite instruments
- Compose a poem or song together, or write a story for a play or movie
- Get crafty and make DIY projects like repurposing and decorating shoe boxes
- Learn crocheting or have fun with origami
- Learn a magic trick together
- Learn a dance routine
- Plan a trip together
- Make yourselves some great coffee and just have great conversation
I’m sure you’ve come up with even more ideas to have a fun date without spending too much. Whatever your date plans are, be sure that you both have fun. After all, the times you spend together are priceless memories that you can cherish for a long time.